Saturday 6 October 2012

Unicorn Horn ..................

178 days after paying in full I have a complete kit, the steering arrived yesterday. I had expected it to be made of Unicorn Horn with an fine inlay of Dodo beak polished to perfection but no .... just metal and powder coat. Enough of the sarcasm and onwards ........
The steering fitted into place without too much difficulty and my drain pipe centering idea worked well so no re cutting of the scuttle. We then set about finishing the wiring and installing the dashboard, the work we had done earlier made it a relatively short task and it fitted into place and all still seems to work. The upper trim piece was added and I am pleased with the result. Tomorrow Joe will have to spend some time flat on his back under the dash doing some final tidying but all in all a satisfying few hours work. Ted was most unimpressed and slept in the car all afternoon. We finished the day with attaching the windscreen trim piece which took longer than anticipated and I am still not happy with the final angle of the wiper blades in relation to the screen, some further fiddling necessary tomorrow I think. I have just noticed also that the trim piece is clearly a different gelcoat when under fluorescent light but in daylight the contrast will not be as bad. I would ask WF for a new one but as I am likely to die of old age before receiving it, we will put up with the mismatch ! 4 hours today 240 hours total.

Dash in progress   


Ted got bored !   


Dashboard in place
Wiper trim











4 comments:

  1. Like the "Remove before flight" tag - I have the same on the car and garage keys - I lose keys quite often!
    Ted looks cute - isn't a Scotty taking a risk in the IoM? - no way my two mad English Springer Spaniels are getting any where close to the WF
    Enjoy the rest of the build - perhaps there will be some dry days over the winter to enjoy the cars

    Jon H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love springers but wow do they have energy !!! Ted getting old now takes life at a leisurely pace !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noticed the carbon wrap on the mirrors let me know how it works out I've already ditched the wrap on the pedal box cover panel and ordered the original 3M stuff

    ReplyDelete