Wednesday 29 August 2012

Front wings .............

Having looked at our lovely front wings there is not a chance in hell we are going to drill them to mount them. Every car we looked at when we visited the factory had crazing and chipping around the front wing mounting bolts which looked awful. Having given the matter some thought I decided upon this plan. I drilled the mounts and cut four lengths of 2.5mm x 30mm brass strip which were drilled to match. I then silver soldered stainless bolts down through the brass and then ground off most of the heads. I am left with a brass strip with captive stainless bolts to glass into our wings which are fibreglass and not abs. I intend to drill the brass strips with a number of holes for the resin to grip and then have enough bolt length for a piece of glass cloth over the lot. Fingers crossed the plan will work we shall see ! I also fitted the last fuel line so the engine bay is almost complete. 3 hours today 173 total.

Wing mount bolted to frame

Wing mount bolts ground off

No comments:

Post a Comment