Sunday 2 September 2012

Busy weekend .................

Onwards today although other commitments meant I left Joe to it for some time, strange how he got more done without me !!
The day started with the roll bar fitting, we have the standard one so much easier than the complex RAC type. It took a long time to modify it for the high level light and getting the wire to thread through the closed end bar was a devil of a job. However Joe persevered and made a super job of drilling and filing the body to suit . Whilst I was away he also fitted the fuel filler cap which does look very nice and seems a quality item. Of course fitting these items is not a quick job as an error could be very costly so slowly does it is the order of the day !



Roll bar and filler cap
The only problem with the roll bar is the manufacturer had powder coated the securing bolts so it was impossible to use them so need to buy a couple tomorrow.

The cycle wings and my attachment system were next, a chap kindly wrote to me from the forum and I have taken his advice and used Isopon P40 for the initial attachment . First a couple of views of my brass mounts ...

Captive bolts at one side

Captive nuts at the other
The arms of the cycle wing carriers were protected with plastic and the bolts protected with vaseline .....


You will note the use of the nice smelling vaseline, I think I am going to be in the sh1t when she notices it missing from her handbag ! hopefully I can get to boots tomorrow morning and replace it before she notices ! Anyway the car has priority !!
Next job was to position a wing and rough up where the brass plates will sit ............

Cycle wing interior
Then on with a huge dollop of P40 and place the wings in position

Isopon P40 covering brass mount
After taking the dog for a walk we removed the wing and all had stuck firmly in place, with a little tidying with the dremel we were able to re fit the wing onto its carriers, I could breathe out now !

Wing refitted after glue
All that remains is to glass cloth the mounts on the underside and all should be well, of course if they drop off the first time we drive the car I will know my cunning plan was a failure ! I have however tried to pull them off as hard as I can and the stuff sticks like sugar to a blanket !! A really good weekend making huge progress maybe not so many winters nights after all !
another 8 hour day today 193 total.






No comments:

Post a Comment