Tuesday 26 June 2012

Silicon is a real xxxxxxx

Having earlier fitted the centre tunnel cover and persuaded myself I could fit the engine with it in place, I had to remove it. Only problem was I had made such a thorough job of sealing it that it was a real struggle to get it off, and once off this morning I started the job of getting the old sealant off the underside of the aluminium. A swine of a job, so much so that I went and bought some silicon sealant remover. The remover said brush on leave 15 minutes wipe off, what could possibly go wrong ! To cut a long story short the remover had no effect whatsoever on the sealant but I have found it makes short work of removing the top layer of skin from your hands ! 3 hours of scraping and cutting later the panel was clean, a hole cut for the gear lever and re fitted, looks ok again ! The label of the bottle needs altering to read skin remover not suitable for silicon LOL ! I assembled and fitted the radiator and fan sensor and connected the wiring. 115 hours total now although some of today was self inflicted !

Centre cover re installed !
Radiator and fan fitted.


2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Given that I too need to remove the silicon from said tunnel cover - any tips?

    Jon H

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I prised off the tunnel cover it clearly was not perfectly flat anymore, therefore anything sharp digs in. I took off the majority using a window frame scraper then a stanley knife blade held vertically and scraped did the rest ! If I could have been bothered to remove the loom back through the hole I would have gone and got one cut at our local metal works but couldn't face threading it again !! The silicon stuff had very little effect I think apart from making my hands sore !

    ReplyDelete