Saturday 2 June 2012

Short forward burst ! ......

As perhaps anticipated my new hub did not show up from the manufacturers, but having rung Westfield yesterday they did have the decency to apologise and sent me bearings which arrived this morning, apparently they forgot to chase it up !. I took my old hub to a local motor engineer who dissembled the bearings and found that both the front and rear races were in crooked, the rear one had picked up a burr on its way in and trapped the burr between itself and its seat thus not letting it sit deeply enough in the hub. Tony cleaned out and polished the journals and installed the new races without problem and indeed without hammering the sxxt out of them ! I held the bearing and some of the swarf for a photo. At long last the nearside disc sits centrally in the caliper and runs freely. I have filled and bled the brakes which do look as though they are not leaking (something went my way !) and have wedged the pedal to leave them for a while whilst the brake fairies do their thing ! The last few days whilst waiting for a solution to the hub issue I have painted everything that wasn't but now without an ecu loom am probably close to coming to a halt again. 92 hours building.

Rear race outer and picked up metal from crooked insertion.
Nearside disc now central in caliper.

1 comment: