Friday 4 May 2012

Splitting Hairs !!

Maybe I am being anal about this but the replacement bottom studs for the rear wheel hubs sent to me today from the factory are oversize as well, if anything worse than the first pair. They are described as 7/16 inch and to be honest they are more or less that size measuring 11.1109mm. Of course a 7/16 bolt fits all the bushes perfectly and having tried a few they measure 10.96 to 11.00 mm. My local precision engineers is setting the studs up for machining to size this afternoon ! I appreciate this may be the vagaries of the plating process but surely this should be addressed and is obviously a known issue, it seems the bushings are clearly set up to fit 11mm bolts which is what mine measure precisely  and when a near enough correct 7/16 dimension is introduced it does not fit, I understand as near as damn it 11.1125 is 7/16.
I know others have gone for enlarging the bushes but as they are a machined finish the lesser of two evils for me seemed to be re machining the studs to suit. I have collected them and have sprayed them with a thin coat of black hammerite which hopefully will pass through the bushes if not I will clean it off. When in situ I will fully protect them so hopefully losing some of the coating will not be an issue.


Painted machined stud

If you have ploughed your way through all that drivel I apologise. The weekend looks like wiring loom which looks like a large bag of fun !!!! what can possibly go wrong ?





No comments:

Post a Comment